Earlier than Financial institution Underground takes a festive break, it’s time for the Annual Financial institution Underground Christmas Quiz. Take a look at your self towards our 10 festively themed questions on economics, finance and all issues central banking…
1) (Foreign money) Which festive object seems on the again of a commemorative UK 50p coin?
A Christmas Pudding
A brussels sprout
2) (Commodities) The lighting of the Menorah on the Jewish winter competition of Hanukkah remembers the miracle of a jug of oil burning longer than the day it was anticipated to final. On this early instance of commodity consumption, for what number of days in whole did the jug of oil preserve the lamp lit?
3) (Financial Economics) The silver denarius was the primary coin utilized by the Romans in first century Palestine and a key a part of the financial system. Within the 15 BCE decree of Caesar Augustus, what was the silver content material of the coin?
4) (Historical past of Financial Thought) Which Nobel prize profitable economist penned this festive ditty to the tune of Jingle Bells:
‘Maximize, maximize, that’s the essential key; Allocate sources by their productiveness; Equalize VMP’s with their worth; and Your manufacturing perform is the best within the land.’?
5) (Worldwide Economics) Which nation makes use of the ‘dram’ as its foreign money?
6) (Financial Historical past) How far again in time would it’s important to go to seek out wild reindeers strolling within the Metropolis of London?
Round 1,000 years
Round 100,000 years
Reindeers by no means lived in England
7)(Macroeconomics) What’s the present projection for CPI inflation in accordance with the Financial institution of England’s Financial Coverage Report on Christmas 2024?
There are not any projections
8) (Central Banking) Which darts participant shares a reputation with a central banker and walks out to ‘King of Kings’ by Motorhead?
‘Helicopter’ Ben Bernanke
Alan ‘The Undertaker’ Greenspan
Mark ‘Carnage’ Carney
9) (Financial Principle) Which economist known as easy financial textbook fashions with neat options ‘Santa Claus’ – examples in his Nobel Prize acceptance speech?
10) (Foreign money Unions) Which central banker mentioned of the euro ‘Whether or not one is shopping for a reindeer pores and skin at one finish of the continent or a bottle of suntan lotion on the reverse finish, the identical banknotes will likely be used with out discrimination’?